Re: [MiNT] Background

=?iso-8859-1?q?Jean-Fran=E7ois?= Lemaire wrote:

> On Monday 19 Sep 2011 19:41:07 Peter Slegg wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 19:04:57 , Helmut Karlowski <helmut.karlowski@ish.d=
> e>=20
> wrote:
> =20
> > How it works is irrelevant. Users don't care about the inplementation.
> > They DO care that their desktops are broken.
>
> What Jo Even is saying is that GEM has been working like this for 25 years.=
> =20
> It's the way it was designed, as far as I know.
> =20
> > The aes shouldn't even have it's own menu and desktop screen, that has
> > always been a strange feature that should be removed.

The question is not what was the GEm-intention 25 years ago but how to make it a modern usable
OS wich is fast and comfortable to use.

IMHO XaAES beats even windows in many aspects already, though not in all ;)

If you want the OS to behave like 1985-GEM, then simply don't use MiNT
at all - use MagiC or ROM-TOS. Many people do that already.

And for Peter repeating his complaints about a simple bug that was gone
before he started this thread, this completely disqualifies him for me
to test the daily builds.

> What do you propose? If the AES is run without a desktop, or the desktop=20
> crashes, you need some way to recover. However, I agree that the current=20
> implementation is less than perfect, with the entry XaAES xxx Release und=
> er=20
> that weird Clients non-standard sub-menu, amid the accessories, and the w=
> ay=20

You can switch it off completely. Or feel free to improve things.

> the AES is considered as an application when keyboard-switching apps, among=
> =20
> other annoying details.

I don't know what you mean here, but I'm sure I have the opposite opionion.

For Ctrl-Alt: It's one of the feateures that make XaAES superior over
everything I know.

Whenever someone comes with a reasonable suggestion to improve things -
no problem. But it's so easy to complain and criticize without ever
contributing a single bit, not even a request.

This is a private project, not a company, and if it would be commercial, there
would very likey be less support than you get here.

My last post on this topic.

-Helmut