[MiNT] NEWFATFS Bug

There seems to be a bug inside FreeMiNTs NEWFATFS.

FreeMiNT corrupts my FAT filesystem at the FireBee, every time I try to copy a folder with more than 5 sub directories within. Everything works quite well if I copy just folders with a hirarchy of 4 more directories, but If I copy a folder with 6 folders inside or a folder with with 5 folders and files inside the 5th one, I get an error message and destroy my filesystem.

When I copy a folder with folders and files down to 5th hirarchy (like "C:\1\2\3\4\5\TEST.TXT") under FreeMiNT (GEM=ROM), inside C from one place to another I get an error message that the "directory cannot be created" but GEM stays usable. Same behavior, if the 5th folder contains just a folder (Nr. 6), but no files.

But if I try to copy such folders with folders inside from USB-sticks, when the Folder Nr. 5 contains files, the 5th hirarchy is not created with the error message "Verzeichnis xyz kann nicht angelegt werden". And later after klicking "weiter" the message that "C has not enough space for this operation" appears, and I cannot navigate through the USB stick anymore as well not through C, and the filesystem is corrupted as well.

My CompactFlash card contains only a 502 MB FAT 16 partition, and that bug does never appear when using FireTOS. Just with FreeMiNT (also it does not appear with Aranym, as I was told).

That bug appears as well at new formatted partitions. Everything is reproduceable.

Vincent already confirmed it, and can tell more about it. Here are the most important parts of his tests:

"I confirm this is a FreeMiNT bug"

[...]

FireTOS only + Thing : no trouble, I can copy the 1 folder and its contents.
FireTOS + FreeMiNT (GEM=ROM) + Thing : try to copy = "The directory can't be read. TOS error #-11".

I have similar trouble with FireTOS + FreeMiNT (GEM=ROM) + XaAES + TeraDesk.
From TosWin2, the "cp -R 1 2" command works fine to achieve the same goal."

best regards

Mathias