[MiNT] No Keyboard when GEM=ROM

Well people told me that this behavior is a feature not a bug. But if I
use my computers with GEM=ROM (especially for testing with the FireBee),
it is really annoying that I have no keyboard input. For example testing
AES configuartions means; booting with MiNT GEM=ROM, recognising something
is wrong, booting again with MiNT GEM=ROM for kicking MiNT out of the AUTO
folder. Than booting again into TOS for changing the file, and booting
again to see if changes may have helped. ;-/

Additionally I face the situation that there are applications that work
not with TOS and not with MiNT & XaAES, but with MiNT & GEM. These
programs cannot be used at all because of this behavior. Would be great if
we could make keyboard usage possible with FreeMiNT and GEM=ROM.At least
as option?

Mathias