[MiNT] Creating a patch for a non-existing directory

Hello,

I want to submit a patch for new driver to the Freemint Mailing List.
However, I fail to create an proper patch.

First I tried to use CVS for it, but you can only cvs diff added directories and files. That's only possible when you have write access. Then I tried local diff, however, it also fails, or applying the patch when testing it fails.
(I get error message: The next patch would create the file ./,
which already exists!  Assume -R? [n] ).

So how should I send patches to the mailing list.

Answer should be added to:

http://wiki.sparemint.org/index.php/How_to_contribute
http://wiki.sparemint.org/index.php/Create_a_patch

Thanks & Greets,