Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT 1.18 release

Hi,

On tiistai 04 joulukuu 2012, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > Why is PATH_MAX not applied to mkdir? I forgot the details, sorry.
>
>  From the changelog, PATH_MAX was being removed in as many places as
> possible.
>
> But for mkdir, we never need to check the size as we're creating the
> filename. Whereas deletion requires the lookup of the inode with
> path2cookie which requires PATH_MAX variable.
>
> As realistically, the kernel itself shouldn't impose limits. It's only
> the filesystem itself which has the limits.

I can understand why file system would have a filename limit, but
why it would have a path limit?   I think PATH_MAX is just (POSIX)
C-library convention.

E.g. in case of Ext2, according to Wikipedia just the filename can
be 255 chars long:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2#File_system_limits

	- Eero