Re: [MiNT] Compiling a FreeMiNT kernel

Am Samstag, den 12.10.2013, 14:04 +0200 schrieb Vincent Rivière:
> On 12/10/2013 11:04, Matthias Arndt wrote:
> > Now I just wonder why the compiled kernel .prgs are in hidden
> > directories while all drivers are directly insitu with their sources?
>
> There are 2 different approaches:
>
> 1) The kernel: the same sources are built multiple times to produce
> different kernel variants. This is why the binaries are generated in
> subdirectories, which, surprisingly, are hidden (starts with a dot).

Why are they hidden, otherwise I expect the technical reasoning.

> 2) The tools and kernel modules: they are built just once for 68000, so
> multiple subdirectories are not required.

This also makes sense and answers my questions if drivers will work with
all kernels. Are there no problems with 68000 code and Coldfire here?

> The FreeMiNT source tree has become quite a mess.

2 days ago, I would have fully agreed. Now that I took a deeper look at
them, I think there is a structure visible. Maybe a generic readme file
on toplevel would help here?

> A long lasting project is to rework the makefiles and build process, to
> enable building everything for a specific CPU and/or machine.
>
> As a result, currently I need to use a custom build script to compile
> everything optimized for ColdFire:
> http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/archives/mint/freemint/freemint-1.18.0-bin-firebee.sh

I can imagine.

I also discovered that the binary distribution differs from what the
sources can built. I could build various MintNet utils such as ifconfig
in my local build tree but I could not locate them in
http://www.fairlite.co.uk/FreeMiNT/builds/freemint/freemint-1.18-12102013.tar.bz2 which I decided to takeapart this morning....

Can I use my versions of the tools with the official kernel?

Another thing: this release has mint/1-18-1 as the sysdir. Is this the
same for a kernel built from trunk source or is it 1-18-cur there? (Or
even 1-19-...?)

Thanks for your explanations, the mystery on FreeMiNT, its components
and build process starts to dissolve rapidly :)

Regards,
Matthias
--
Matthias Arndt <marndt@asmsoftware.de>