Re: [MiNT] gethostbyname() fails on the FireBee

Hello, Ole.

I answer to the list, as other people will be interested.

On 31/08/2014 00:29, Ole wrote :
Is your timeon the firebee set correctly? I once noticed the problem,
too. But it only occured when the time settings where incorrect (the was
also some firebee cpx setting which influenced such time/date things, if
i remeber correctly...).

Yes, the "date" command outputs the correct date/time.

I had not powered on my FireBee for a long time, so yesterday the date was shifted by a few days (I suspect a bug in day/month calculation in the PIC). Yesterday, I set the date correctly and I powered off. Now the date/time is always good, even on cold boot.

Ping works correctly at my firebee, so it's some environment setting
which causes the problem.

I have just noticed that the old ping command taken from EasyMiNT works fine on my FireBee, with the exact same setup (FireTOS + FreeMiNT 1.19)!
While the freshly compiled ping fails on gethostbyname().

So it must be a regression in the MiNTLib's gethostbyname() (or compiler), since the kernel and FEC driver are strictly the same.

In the MiNTLib, I tracked gethostbyname() down to the res_send() function:
http://sparemint.atariforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb/mintlib/socket/res_send.c?rev=1.6&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

At line 340, the function waits for a reply using select().
I believe something is wrong there, so the function timeouts immediately and jumps to next try.

Alan, are you familiar with that code?

PS: The fact it works fine with strace should be a clue.

--
Vincent Rivière