Re: [MiNT] Need help to resurrect a Falcon + CT60

Hello,

I did it again from a real Linux machine - the first time I started my windows PC from a usb stick -.

Typing dd if=/dev/sdc of=/media/jean-luc/64_Go/Recup/recup.img conv=swab returned a permission denied message,

but sudo dd if=/dev/sdc of=/media/jean-luc/64_Go/Recup/recup.img conv=swab worked fine and created the 20 GB

image file into the folder on my 64 GB stick.

Now, my problem is : how do I access the different partitions so I can copy back my data in a useable way ?

BTW : the corrupted data on my windows machine was only not important ones, I could retrieve almost all the

important ones.

Regards,

J.-Luc

> Message du 22/07/15 13:54
> De : "Thorsten Otto" <halgara@yahoo.de>
> A : "Jean-Luc CECCOLI" <jean-luc.ceccoli@wanadoo.fr>
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [MiNT] Need help to resurrect a Falcon + CT60
>

> OK, so, if I understand correctly, what I have done is copying the contents of my Falcon's drive over my PC's partition.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. /dev/sda7 accesses the whole partition, not a file in it. You probably wrote the contents of your Atari disk over your PC partition, corrupting it.

> I'm new at Linux

I see. Be very careful, dd is not a tool for daily work, its easy to mess your whole system up with it. You should always be alarmed when you have to use "sudo" to execute a command, if in doubt better ask once more.

Basically, what you have to do is copy the harddisk image of your Atari (or a single partition on it) to a regular file on your linux box. You don't have to (and must not) write it to a partition. You only need that partition if you dont have enough space in your home directory (which is probably the case when booting from an usb stick). So you need to mount that partition first (ie mount /dev/sda7 /media/jean-luc).

However it sounds that using Aranym might be easier in your case.

Jean-Luc CECCOLI <jean-luc.ceccoli@wanadoo.fr> schrieb am 21:12 Dienstag, 21.Juli 2015:

OK, so, if I understand correctly, what I have done is copying the contents of my Falcon's drive over my PC's partition.
I don't konw how far it has achieved, but I lost many files at random places. Some are not that important, but others are and I hope these weren't affected.
Next step will be to give the Falcon's drive another try, but on another place - a blank 64 GB stick, for instance -.

Regards,

J.-Luc
> Message du 20/07/15 20:20
> De : "Miro Kropáček" <miro.kropacek@gmail.com>
> A : "Jean-Luc CECCOLI" <jean-luc.ceccoli@wanadoo.fr>
> Copie à : "Thorsten Otto" <halgara@yahoo.de>, "mint@lists.fishpool.fi" <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
> Objet : Re: [MiNT] Need help to resurrect a Falcon + CT60

Jean-Luc,

you made several wrong assumptions:
  1. dd doesn't work on directories -- it works on handles, devices, files but not directories ... and it copies devices as whole (as an image), not file by file
  2. you can't access windows disk/directories like /dev/sda7/ ... first you have to mount the device/partition (/dev/sda7) somewhere so the kernel knows its filesystem and structure
  3. sudo really means "superuser operation", i.e. something you definitely shouldn't do as a normal (inexperienced) user ... it's not like windows uac which everyones just confirms without thinking
  4. you thought you'd be careful when typing the name of the disk with your precious data as you say
So you see, you tried something incredibly dangerous without proper advice/confirmation, that was really asking for trouble :-( Fingers crossed for your recovery attempt, though.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 8:05 PM, Jean-Luc CECCOLI <jean-luc.ceccoli@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Yes, but $home refers to a place on the live usb dist, which I couldn't find afterwards. Or so I guess.
> Though I didn't write it in my previous post, I did try sudo dd if=/dev/sde of=/dev/sda7/Atari/recup.img conv=swab, but got an error message too.
> I think I didn't do it the right way... maybe ought I have replaced /dev/sda7 by something like /meida/jean-luc/ ?
> Testdisk has almost finished running, then I can see if I can retrieve my (precious) data or if I go and hang... then I try again with the Falcon disk.
>
> Thx,
>
> J.-Luc
>

> Message du 20/07/15 14:37
> > De : "Miro Kropáček" <miro.kropacek@gmail.com>
> > A : "Jean-Luc CECCOLI" <jean-luc.ceccoli@wanadoo.fr>
> > Copie à : "Thorsten Otto" <halgara@yahoo.de>, "mint@lists.fishpool.fi" <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
> > Objet : Re: [MiNT] Need help to resurrect a Falcon + CT60

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Jean-Luc CECCOLI <jean-luc.ceccoli@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

I typed sudo dd if=/dev/sde of=/dev/sda7/Atari/ conv=swab, but only got a message telling no such file or directory.

> > You got it nearly right -- you should have typed something like "sudo dd if=/dev/sde of=$HOME/atari.img conv=swab", i.e. write it to a file. /dev/sda7/Atari doesn't make sense -- sda7 is a partition, you can create directories on a filesystem only.

Always know what are you doing with tools like dd else you may end up with huge data losses!

--

MiKRO / Mystic Bytes

--

MiKRO / Mystic Bytes