[Freemint-list] 20 year anniversary...

Jo Even Skarstein joska at online.no
Sat Nov 5 13:02:23 MSK 2016

On lø., 2016-11-05 at 19:50 +1000, Miro Kropáček wrote:

> On 5 November 2016 at 19:43, Jo Even Skarstein <joska at online.no>
> wrote:
>         IMO especially XaAES suffers a bit from feature
>         creep
>
> Can you name some examples? It's much easier to pick up the code and
> fix something if developers know what is the problem. :)

Yes, I think there are several things in XaAES that could be removed and
replaced with an API and userspace programs. Like the hardcoded hotkeys,
which leaves no room for user configuration.
Creating and setting wallpaper should be done by a separate program.
BubbleGEM replacement should not be in the kernel.
Task manager and system console should not be in the kernel.
File selector.

All of these are useful features, but they don't belong in the kernel
IMO. They should be implemented as normal user programs, calling the AES
kernel through a message pipe or trap. That leaves a lot of code out of
the kernel modules, and gives developers freedom to develop
alternatives.

Jo Even