[Freemint-list] 20 year anniversary...

Helmut Karlowski helmut.karlowski at ish.de
Sat Nov 5 13:41:06 MSK 2016

Am 05.11.2016, 11:02 Uhr, schrieb Jo Even Skarstein:

> Yes, I think there are several things in XaAES that could be removed and
> replaced with an API and userspace programs. Like the hardcoded hotkeys,
> which leaves no room for user configuration.

They are not hardcoded - you can change any hotkey by editing xa_help.xx.

> Creating and setting wallpaper should be done by a separate program.

That's the concept. I'm waiting since years for someone to implement that.
Go ahead! I personally don't use the wallpaper in practice.

> BubbleGEM replacement should not be in the kernel.

Explain why.

> All of these are useful features, but they don't belong in the kernel
> IMO. They should be implemented as normal user programs, calling the AES
> kernel through a message pipe or trap. That leaves a lot of code out of
> the kernel modules, and gives developers freedom to develop
> alternatives.

Why can't they be replaced?

I think having them external would increase overhead and code-size.

Of course there's much room for improvements.

-Helmut