[Freemint-list] Github access rights

Vincent Rivière vincent.riviere at freesbee.fr
Wed Jan 25 03:19:43 MSK 2017

On 24/01/2017 à 23:31, Miro Kropáček wrote:
> The wiki has also separate per-project permissions, at least as far as I
> understand it. I have set it for FreeMiNT so that everyone can contribute
> (with a github account). So everyone is welcome to make changes.

The settings are unclear.

The documentation says:
https://help.github.com/articles/changing-access-permissions-for-wikis/

"Only repository collaborators can edit a public repository's wiki by
default, but you can give anyone with a GitHub account edit permissions."
Option: "Restrict edits to collaborators only. "

But the checkbox on actual settings is different:
https://github.com/freemint/freemint/settings
Option: "Restrict editing to users in teams with push access only "

This is not really the same thing, so it is unclear which rights applies to
non-members.

>     2) Other people should only have Read permission, so they will need to
>     make Pull Requests if they want to contribute. Then Alan will have to
>     accept or reject the Pull Request.
>
> If you also mean me and you, from my side it's OK, there's no more work to
> setup anything, so I will happily with making PRs, as this is the case already.

Yes, I meant you and me. Having technical access rights does not legitimate
us to write to official master branches. I don't say it would be a bad
thing, I just say it has to be discussed.

Personally, my plans are to progressively stop Atari activities, so it
wouldn't make sense to accept a new role of maintainer for the FreeMiNT
repositories, evaluate Pull Requests from other people, etc.
On the other hand, it would be handy for me to have direct Write access,
when I have to occasionally fix things. In my archives, I count 85 submitted
patches, and as far as I remember that didn't cause much regressions ;-)

> Yeah, we'd need to create a so called 'team' of website contributors, it's
> in github main settings. Actually, we'd need perhaps something as:

This would make sense.

> This is easy, see above. I think the wiki isn't something which needs hard
> supervision. If somebody goes crazy, we can still look it up in git log and
> revert.

Agreed.

> Helmut seems to be departed from freemint development at least since
> 2014

For Helmut needs (separate branch), it would make sense that he forks the
FreeMiNT repository and commit there. Then he could make occasional Pull
Requests to integrate some stuff into trunk, or if he doesn't, we could
occasionally cherry-pick good stuff from his repository.

It is still unclear what will happen to the freemint.org daily builds. Of
course the goal is to build them with Travis CI. Maybe they are already
available, I don't know where.

Also, I wonder how Alan's Gentoo stuff would accommodate with the new GitHub
repositories. It would probably work fine thanks to your excellent Git build
for FreeMiNT, but this has to be confirmed.

And of course, at some point, we should consider that the GitHub sources are
the official ones, and delete the old CVS data to avoid confusion.

--
Vincent Rivière