[Freemint-list] tos.hyp automated and live

Thorsten Otto admin at tho-otto.de
Mon Feb 27 15:03:28 MSK 2017

On Monday 27 February 2017 12:35:53 Miro Kropáček wrote:
> Btw any particular reason why you've made a private version of UDO instead
> of submitting patches

Because i wasn't very pleased with what Ulf did to UDO. He only concentrated
on HTML output, and managed to break every other output format. He also claims
on his side that UDO now works with UTF-8 internally, which is just plain
wrong. In his version, UTF-8 only works when both the input and output are
utf-8, and only if the output format does not need any explicit positioning.
Tables in rtf are messed up for example when the input is utf-8, because the
calculation is made based on byte indices rather than character indices.
Project files (like the ones used to compile windows help files) are suddenly
encoded in the output encoding of the text files, which is also wrong.
Supplying patches for all this would have meant to undo all that first. I
didnt bother.

> Is there any benefit of using it for tos.hyp in comparison with SVN UDO?

Especially for tos.hyp it has the benefit that it is about 30 times faster ;)