Re: Latest version of my init(8) package.

>Re Minixfs problems ... might be fixed in pl6, some bugs relating to multiple
>opening. Failing that I'll investigate further.
>Steve.

Thanks, I downloaded pl6 yesterday and it does indeed fix the problem. There
is only one problem with pl6... that flippin update process takes pid 1!
Grrr :-) My halt program nolonger works.. humph!

Seriously, I think that the Minixfs update daemon should be made optional so
that an external process run after the minixfs has been initialised can be
used instead. Maybe, in the meantime, how's about adding an ioctl which does
a sync(), maybe if we could get the code standardised then there'd be no
need to change the MiNT kernel.

A suggested scheme..

The global system update daemon opens the root directory of a drive and
calls Fcntl with the control code for the syncing function. Drives which
can't handle syncing will merely return EINVAL, this is correct isn't it?
I'm not thinking straight this morning.

Steve

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).