Re: Software for MiNX (I'd like this name...)

>> In this mail, I want to introduce the things I set up
>> at home in the last days - inspirated by the discussion
>> here in the mint list.
>>
>> I tried to find a path structure that can be accepted
>> by everyone, but, of course, it's just a suggestion.
>
>Now there's something useful, instead of endless discussions on a
>so-called 'standard',  just compile something which looks good, and make
>it available so that it will become a 'de facto' standard.

Well.. this is what I've been doing with my init package, it's just that
people wanted it formalised.

>Now all you need is a little advertising.

I've been doing this, in a small way. I've even amost got around to an
install script in Perl. :-)

>Now don't think I am suddenly supporting the waffles about sources which
>use fixed paths---but I do agree that it is nice to have a roughly agreed
>distribution of the UNIX-like binaries.  Also, I think the way you put it
>in the archive, this is probably the way to install MiNT for the first
>time which causes the least amount of headache.

Fixed 'virtual' paths are fine for MiNT as you can set the whole lot up even
under a purely TOSFS system merely using sym-links in U:\

>--
>Annius V. Groenink | E-mail: avg@cwi.nl      |  Private & ZFC:
>CWI, Kruislaan 413 | Office: M233            |  P.O. Box 799
>1098 SJ Amsterdam  | Ext:    4077            |  NL 3500 AT Utrecht
>Netherland         | Phone:  +31 20 592 4077 |  Phone: +31 30 803740

Steve

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).