Re: [MINTOS] looking for data (was: Re: standard paths)

In <9401182251.AA19967@nice.ethz.ch>, Christian Limpach <Christian.Limpach@nice.usergroup.ethz.ch> wrote:

>>The file name host.cnf seems rather confusing, as it suggests a
>>relation to /etc/hosts. The only alternative I can come up with
>>is binconfig (also misleading), a better name is asked for.
>
> no, the name is quite well chosen, my NeXT has a similar file
> (/etc/hostconfig). This one sets things like IP number, hostname and other
> network related stuff...

I respectfully disagree. The hostconfig file on your NeXT is not at all
similar to the proposed host.cnf on the Atari. The host.cnf file could
contain just any kind of data needed by any kind of program. It may
contain lines like:

MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/gem/man
GXXINC=/usr/g++include
EXINIT=set lines=60 scroll=40 ai eb sm mo

I'm pretty sure those (and similar) are not in NeXT's hostconfig.

Regards,
           Waldi  (walra%moacs11@nl.net)