Re: [MINTOS] looking for data (was: Re: standard paths)

Hi,

> > no, the name is quite well chosen, my NeXT has a similar file
> > (/etc/hostconfig). This one sets things like IP number, hostname and other
> > network related stuff...
>
> I respectfully disagree. The hostconfig file on your NeXT is not at all
> similar to the proposed host.cnf on the Atari. The host.cnf file could
> contain just any kind of data needed by any kind of program. It may
> contain lines like:
>
> MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/gem/man
> GXXINC=/usr/g++include
> EXINIT=set lines=60 scroll=40 ai eb sm mo

these are environment variables and should not be set globally. Every
user should defines these in his .cshrc or whatever his shell uses.
host.cnf should IMHO only define things that are really host dependant
(like hostname and IP numbers...)

   christian