Re: LINUX Filesystem standards

In <9401182225.AA01271@irz301.inf.tu-dresden.de>, Michael Hohmuth <hohmuth@freia.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> > [ Linux Filesystem Structure ]
>
> They've done the work for us..  I think we should use this document as a
> very good starting point.

There is (IMO) one major flaw: it does not allow for different flavours of
the same command. It misses /usr/ucb and /usr/5bin.

> All that's left to do for us is to find any MiNT specifics and integrate
> them into this structure.
>
> So I would suggest:
>
> o /usr/src/linux becomes /usr/src/mint

Agreed. I suggest to leave the rest of /usr/src to local administration.

> o /boot points to the MiNT boot directory (which has to reside on a Tosfs
>   partition, currently); this includes mint.cnf and minix.xfs

Not much use for that. MiNT will have to look for C:\MINT, it cannot look
for U:\boot. /boot might better be reserved for future use :).

> o I still like the /usr/kits + /var/kits idea..  What about
>   /usr/kits/multitos?

What would you want to put there?

> One more question:  Can GEM programs be integrated in the structure?
> Perhaps /usr/gem/<kit> or /usr/kits/<kit> something?

1) Yes, definitely.  2) I like a /usr/gem similar to /usr/X11.

Regards,
           Waldi  (walra%moacs11@nl.net)