Re: call for discussion: Standard paths for MiNT

> The SYSV solution seems to have been promoted a few times now. Let me
> just add that it may be worth to keep an eye how LINUX is doeing
> things. Among other things, there will be a port to 68k machines at
> some point, so beong compatible with that may be worth something.

Excellent point! Let's join forces with the Linux 68k people here.
Does somebody have the address for the Linux 68k mailing list?
In general: Let's try to find out what the major UNIX's path
structure is like. For HPUX, I can say that they are still BSD-like,
but moving towards a V.4 structure gradually. Let's make a list!
Quite obviously, we need some more information here.

> Later we need to decide where put other stuff. Everything not covered
> by the standard should probably go into /usr/local, but since we are

... or /usr/contrib

> goeing the gnu way, what about a program like gzip? And if emacs is
> goeing to be the standard editor, should it still reside in
> /usr/local? There are a zillion question like these.

Sure, but let's first get the general structure agreed upon, or we
will get lost in details. We can decide such questions later.

Claus Brod, MDD, HP Boeblingen      Magic is real unless declared integer.