Re: load average patches for MiNT 1.10 + patches

>Stephen Usher writes:
>
>> Here's the latest version of my uptime and load average patch for MiNT. The
>> patch is relative to version 1.10 with most of the patches from the last
>> week added.
>>
>> This version now uses the 200Hz interrupt for timing so should keep the
>> correct time on any machine with whatever monitor. The patches affect dos.c,
>> intr.spp and proc.c and adds loadave.h. I'm also including below definitions
>> for mintbind.h.
>
> hmm.  i haven't tried but i would suggest just using the 200 Hz timer
>counter (_hz_200) and doing calculations elsewhere...  because the 200 Hz
>interrupt runs at level 6 and the longer you run at levels >= 5 (6) the
>easier you lose characters on serial ports. (receiver overrun...)

The calculations are only done once per second, so the impact on the system
is minimal. The calculations themselves are merely a few adds, subtracts and
divides, all integer arithmetic, so not particularly slow to do.

> just a thought :)
>	Juergen
>
>PS: same goes for evnt_timer, and the keyboard/mouse/midi interrupts, etc.
>btw could this also be the cause for Thierrys modem1 devices problems?
>i think it does a few things in etv_timer too...
>--
>J"urgen Lock / nox@jelal.north.de / UUCP: ..!uunet!unido!uniol!jelal!nox
>								...ohne Gewehr
>PGP public key fingerprint =  8A 18 58 54 03 7B FC 12  1F 8B 63 C7 19 27 CF DA

Steve

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).