Re: GCC for Atari

On Wed, 23 Mar 1994, Chris Herborth wrote:

> What you wrote:
> >

> The League for Programming Freedom has been boycotting Apple (and the FSF
> has been doing it too) ever since they started hitting on people with
> their "look & feel" lawsuits.  People will receive no support trying to
> port or use GNU stuff on Macs, and their changes will not make it into
> the official distributions for anything.

A boycott which has outlived its purpose.  Apple has changed leadership
twice since the boycott began, has stopped throwing around such lawsuits
(There are now mac emulators for DOS, atari (?), amiga, SUN, and NeXT),
and as of three weeks ago, has agreed to license the Mac OS.  The time
has come for the boycott to END.

> I guess it's working; the only thing (well, other than being broke)
> preventing me from buying a PowerPC-based Mac is the fact that there
> isn't a decent programming environment available.  I hate those stupid
> "IDEs" that people use on DOS or OS/2 or the Mac... gimmie make and a
> good shell any day!

Check out MPW then... I don't know how much longer they'll be supporting
it, as it seems to be lagging, but if they do a PPC version, you've got
what you want.  MPW is Apple's Macintosh Programming Workshop (Workbench?),
which provides a CLI set of compilers, tools, etc.

> Maybe there'll be a PowerPC machine (or MIPS or Dec Alpha) that I can
> run NeXTstep on in the next year or so...  *drool*  Then there's the
> problem of how much workstations cost...  :-(

I wish for this too...but I don't expect it.  For one thing, Jobs has said
right off that there will be no NeXTStep for PowerPC.  His reason?  He
claimed there wasn't a large enough base of allready installed PPC
Machines.  Say What?  As far as MIPS or Alpha based machines...  It would be
nice, but there's been no news of such a thing.  There is a SPARC port coming,
unless that got merged with the upcoming NeXT/SUN product.

Several other UN*Xes will be around for PowerPC though.

				Jim Wise
				wisej@acf4.nyu.edu