Re: Some thoughts on MiNT - Virtual Memor Manager (VMM) needed !!!

> I have some thoughts and questions on MiNT and its problems...
>
> Are there any plans to replace the losing memory manager in MiNT with a
> decent one? I mean, why implementing kluges like the shared text stuff
> that requres -mbaserel? More and more atari systems have a 68030. Why not
> use it? Doing so wold solve a lot of problems, including: the absence of
> a virtual memory manager, fragmented memory, kludgy shared text (the only
> thing that would be needed is a prgflag that is a gurantee that the text
> segment is never modified).
>
> I have the impression that MiNT users have learned to live with these
> problems

  NO !!! That's not true ! I mentioned this very often but there was no
  reaction !!!
  I'm registrated user of VRAM, but it refuses to run under MiNT with/without
  memory protection. So it's difficult to MiNTNet & Gemini & Minix XFS & ...
  all all that other stuff together ! In order to test I have to switch some
  programs on and some off...
  ... there would be enough place on harddisc to swap !!!  like Linux & other
  unix releases do !!! But there is no way to access the PMMU !!! It's reserved
  to MiNT :-( there are interfaces to do so, too???

>instead of attempting to do something about it. Please don't
> accuse me of complaning without doing anyting.

 I can't make VMM driver too :-((( Perhaps somebody looks at linux and tries
 to adapt it to MiNT & MTOS ???

 I don't know enough about
> memory managers to be able to do it. Is anybody working on this?
>
> Another really nice thing would be shared libraries. Most MiNT
> configurations have only 4 megs of memory (including my own). If I
> install everything I want to run (MinixFS, MiNT-NET, vcons, MiNTOS, Bash,
> etc...) I have only about 700KB left! That's not even enough for Emacs!
>
> Is anybody working on a port of X-Windows for MiNT?
  Isn't there a SNI person working on this ??? There a mailing list for
  this I think ... I'm not quite sure about ...

 This is one of the
> lings I would really love to see on my atari. I've thought about trying
> the new Linux port but I'd rather use MiNT.

 Linux it's nice but I prefer MiNT :-)

 I didn't succeed installing Linux - except on ramdisk fs !!!
 It always complain - at the start - that the fs isn't clean !!!
 Then I start fsck.ext2 with all parameters and it dissapears :-)
 So about Linux I just wait ...