Mint-X

>>>>> "Andy" == Andy Ng <nga@division.demon.co.uk> writes:

Andy> I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've been trying to get
Andy> Mint-X running on my Falcon 4MB running Mint 1.12h2, MintNet
Andy> 0.70. The X server appears to start up and I get the background
Andy> and the mouse pointer but then it just exits with the message
Andy> "Waiting for X server to shutdown". Does anyone know what might
Andy> be going wrong?

This is a longshot, but you might want to check you X initialization
scripts. What could be happening is that you start X through some
system such as xinit. This starts the server and launches an init
script (in the case of xinit, this would typically be $HOME/.xinitrc),
but due to some error, the script exits. The X server is then also
terminated and all client programs dies. At the end of the init script
there must be a program that is *not* started in the background
(typically the window manager) which keeps the session alive. If some
error arises, or all programs are backgrounded, xinit regains control
and starts to shut down the server.

PS

I haven't tried Mint-X, so this is based on general X experience.

Christian Lynbech               | Hit the philistines three times over the
office: R0.33 (phone: 3217)	| head with the Elisp reference manual.
email: lynbech@daimi.aau.dk	|        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)