Re: Audio stuff

> With cat the audio ins't good, but dragging file to the device in
> Thing is (outputs the whole file at one time).

Well, this *should* result in exactly the same behavoir.. Make sure
you have set the right sample format with actrl before...

> > This device along with sox (audio file format converter) and s3mod (4,6,8
> > track MOD- and Screamtracker 3 file player) are available for beta test
> > via my Web home page.
>
> It would be nice if you would provide the sox manual page with that
> package (fortunately I got it already :-). S3mod has some quirks, at
> least with my setup:

Well, get the original archive then.

> - S3mod takes pauses in the output. I tried to fix this by lowering
> the output frequency, but S3mod wouldn't go below 8Khz (IMHO should
> be mentioned in the docs).

Then your machine is too slow to play at 8kHz. I don't know if s3mod's
limit (8kHz) is arbitrary (then I could remove it) or if it is relied
upton somewhere in the source. Will check this...

> With the 'MiNT Screensaver' (the one with
> a warp scene and which can be killed) it will sometimes make vconsd
> to repeat the last pressed key until another key is pressed. Vconsd
> version I use is 0.7.

Don't know about the Mint Screensaver.

> Could you shed any light on why s3mod takes these pauses? I guess it's
> something to do with first converting a block of mod and then transmitting
> it (too slowly) to the device. Hmm... I'll have to check whether I can
> control the size of the block (another thing to add to the readme! :)).

Yes, your machine is too slow for the selected play rate. Pitty s3mod
sets this 8kHz limit.

> I'd like to do a GEM sample player for your device. Unfortunately I
> don't have resources for using GCC and SozobonX C library doesn't
> have ioctl() (used in actrl). It has the MiNT binds etc. stuff though.
> Would it be possible to emulate ioctl() with MiNT's Fcntl() call?
> If you have the MiNTlibs source, could you possible post the code
> for ioctl()?

You can as well use Fcntl(). Mintlib's ioctl() does itself call Fcntl().

> Another thing that came to my mind when browsing your WWW page is
> that it would be nice if there would a /u/protocol/[ftp|http|etc.] :).

Well, you would have to implement all the network protocols into a loadable
file system for, which I won't do (nor probably anybody else), because it
is an enourmous amount of work for which I don't have the time.

Kay.
--
Kay Roemer              roemer@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
"If I ever meet ..."    http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/~roemer/