Re: TOS/MiNT/MagiC issues (was: Importance of "W"

>  >  a new install, that doesn't provide a complete unix system, but provides
>  >  a stable, up-to-date .net system (with config progs, etc) and GEM apps
>  >  ready to go
>
> Basically, a PPPkit with a GEM installer should be IT. ;-)

The same sort of thing, but up-to-date binaries, including things
like Connexion,
glue-stik, the latest cab-for-mintnet and support for both SLIP and PPP (many
people only turn to mintnet for PPP, because Stik/sting are thought to be the
SLIP system...)

>  >  ASH wont do the XFS stuff, I expect, but maybe some Magic guru feels up
>  >  to making patches to MiNTnet to port it?
>
> There's no way you'll convince ASH of that, but if there is someone

Yea, thats what I thought. :-)

> with enough knowledge of both systems to port MiNTnet, then  ;-))))

Well, JR has successfully created SPIN.XFS for both MiNT and MagiC, so it
shows that its possible...

>  >* free AES 4.1 compatible AES... oAESis was getting there, but it is
>  >still buggy, and since development has stopped...
>
> This is wishfull thinking, IMHO. There's just too much work involved
> into making an AES 4.1 replacement. It should at least be shareware.

I wouldn't have thought many people expect to make any money out of Atari's
any more - I program for fun, not for my living (well, on the Atari platform,
anyway).

>  >Nor do I. Just be patient, and wait for fenix.

> There are even utilities for TT/Falcon to handle the CRC calculation
> before compiling the patched TOS into an image.
>
> Both were found on the CD-Rom of french magazine STratos.

Cool. I didn't know such programs existed. Is it possible to patch in
AES 4.1?

Anthony