Re: PPPkit 2.0 (was: Importance of "W" f

 >> Multi-user is a growning industry, on the PC side, so why not here?
 >
 >1) Most users do not have multiple computers (particluarly Atari's)

I disagree. All of us here have at least one ST machine and
either a MEGA-STE, TT or Falcon on top of that.

Others have a couple of Ataris and a Linux box, with a Win95
Pentium lying around somewhere in the house.

 >In MiNT terms, multi-user systems typically mean being able to log
 >into the same machine multiple times (in different shells) as different
 >users ("root" and "a.n.other"), and granting FTP access to remote users...
 >Not really the biggest of deals, eh?

Remote Unix is NOT the most usefull in real life either.
File shareing and IP masquerading is much better, IMO.

 >> Typically, this involves a whole family or small office connecting
 >> to the internet using the best-featured machine and other machines
 >> using it as an IP masking device.
 >
 >Seriously, do you know lots of offices using networks of Ataris?

An ST runing MiNTnet is still the most cost-effective Unix-able
machine out there. I have convinced several people to use these
as "a buck a dozen" terminals with built-in windowing and mouse
to connect to their Linux boxes with great success. Everyone is
amazed at how easy it is to configure and install NFS on Atari.

I have even impressed a highly paid system administrator when I
showed him my TT running its basic MiNT setup. He couldn't find
anything nasty about it. In fact, he just loved it and asked if
he could still buy himself one somewhere.

We often whine about "what if Tramiels stayed into computers..."
but fail to see the strenght of word of mouth. That sysadmin did
not need marketing; he just needed ONE user to show him Atari as
an affordable and user-friendly Linux-like environment with GUI.

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
Atari TT030 12/48 NVDI 4.11r0, MiNT 1.14.5, N.AES 1.1.0, GlueSTiK
    "By the year 2000 we will, I hope, raise our children to
     believe in human potential, not God." -- Gloria Steinem
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>