Re: grumbling about the mint libs.

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Katherine L Ellis wrote:

> hi, Wouldn't it be possible to really concentrate on the mintlib for
> porting stuff easier?
[...]
> I got the latest NCFTP source to compile it for mint, (or at least
> trying), I couldn't even rewriting the makefile and redirecting some
> path and includes.

What version of NcFTP is it? I compiled 2.4.2 straight out of the box,
I just typed 'configure m68k; make' (IIRC) and it compiled right away.
I had some problems compiling ncurses 4.1 though, due to some missing
binaries and scripts in my setup, but if you install Petr Stehlik's
TOS-port there shouldn't be any problems at all.

I compiled it with gcc 2.7.2 and MiNTlibs PL46.

> SO, could think I am stupid, or totally confused with C, which would
> be true. However, just compiling shouldn't require a "C language" degree
> , should it?

With really clean and well-written software it's usually a matter of
typing 'configure; make', but in many (most) cases you'll have to
fiddle a bit with the sources and makefile to get everything right.

> P.S: what are the LIBS with the B in front of it? what's teh
> difference between libc and blibc.

IIRC the 'B'-libs are compiled with the '-mbaserel' option.

> P.S(2): Has anyone got a SOLID gcc setup with all the new libs, like
> ncurses, etc.

It works quite well here, although I have a rather old 2.7.2 which
have problems with Atari/DOS newlines (cr/lf).

/*
**
*/