Re: PPPkit 2.0 (was: Importance of "W" for Mac68/T

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

>  >> * A tar-archive of a minimalistic MiNTnet-setup, designed for dial-up
>  >>   connections with ppp and nothing else. I.e. no multiuser facilities
>  >>   or other fancy things.
>  >
>  >Yes, how many "average-joe" users really need a multi-user system? I
>  >certainly see no need for it.
>
> Multi-user is a growning industry, on the PC side, so why not here?
> Typically, this involves a whole family or small office connecting
> to the internet using the best-featured machine and other machines
> using it as an IP masking device.

"Multiuser" on the PC (i.e. Windows) isn't anything like "multiuser"
as it's used in MiNTOS. On the PC it simply means that the person
using the web/mail/news-browser can type a username (and optionally a
password) to use their own setup for a particular session.

Under MiNTOS (and any other decent OS) "multiuser" means that several
persons can use the machine at the same time, with a protected
filesystem and restricted accesses for all users but root. This is a
comprehensible setup and I won't recommend it for users that only want
to browse the web a bit and read mail and news.

>  >> (pine, mutt, ircII...), without them all we're stuck with is CAB, aFTP
>  >> and various STiK-clients that runs under GlueSTiK.
>
> Hold on! CAB.OVL and AFTP both exist in MiNTnet versions. Myself,

Yes, that's what I wrote... I personally use the MiNTnet-versions of
both.

> I am currently writing a GEM mail/news client that will first run
> as a MiNTnet client (STiK version later).

Peter Rottengatter is working on a BSD-like library for STiNG which
should make porting much easier. It won't work with older versions of
STiK or STinG though, as the STinG API has to be extended a bit to get
full BSD-functionality.

/*
**
*/