Re: KGMD 2.0

Hi, I have to say something about all that.
1) the idea of updating kgmd like is very good, and needed.
2) in my opinion just moving the files around and updating some
program from within only will not really make THE KGMD 2.  To me, The
whole init has to be reworked, bash updated (tcsh consequently). Login
same remark, adding some decent lib (not mintlibs automatically, but
wider libs as used by others unices), such as libtelnet, libterm,
libutil, libcrypt and whatever the rest needed for smooth
compilations, ray koemer started this wonderful job, The goal is to
keep on the same direction and not trying to patch, rearrange his work
only.
3) The MiNTnet part upgrade is a must in my opinion, it is soo
outdated.

Once these 3 things done, then make a little nice package.
GEM or SCripts, so far, not really important.

>	Q c. Where do we want root's home to be, /, /root or /home/root? I
>	would suggest, for simplicity, /root.

keep it to /home/root

>	5) x11r?.tgz
If X11 is not updated, imo you shouldn't bother with it. Coz it
probably means that no one wants to run X11 on mint (hence why X11 has
never been updated). (I can believe that X11 is still r5 and mono, of
course people would answer to run linux instead, blah).
But Well, we have AES, so not that big a loss.

As for from the installation script, separating the partition for the
installation is a bad idea in my opinion. Unless you want to scare
people away (regular users), coz I think that the goal of such an
installation is to provide an easy way to install all that.
Why require the user to lose (well, convert) 4 partitions when 1 is
only really needed?
If a user feels more comfy with his system, he will add some minix
partition by himself. But for a starter installation, I don't think it
is the best thing to do.

Email:Kellis@primenet.com
Web http://www.primenet.com/~kellis/