Unidentified MiNTlib bug

I have been experimenting with a curious bug in the MiNTlib, and
I think it's time I brought in the gurus...

My test-bench is the program crlf, which is distributed with the
MiNTlib.  Crlf does not work correctly if linked with the
long-int -m68020-40 -mbaserel library.  The program starts up
but then aborts with:

crlf: foo.txt: Operation would block  <say what?!>

The executable works fine if compiled and linked with any
other possible combination of short/long-int, 68000/020 and
baserel/absolute libs.  For instance, a 68030 long-int baserel
crlf.o works fine if linked with the corresponding 68000 lib.

Any ideas?

Yves