Re: Cntl + Help Man/ST-Guide Referencer

On Mon, 25 May 1998, eonic man wrote:

> Sometimes, as I read the mailings, I wish that I could highlight the word or
> phrase of something that I don't understand, then push Cntrl and Help to have
> the highlighted word searched through Man and ST-Guide files and present a
> window, showing the occurances of the phrase/word in these systems allowing me
> to click on the entry, bringing up Man or ST-Guide so that I can get an
> immediate understanding.  Perhaps the window would be 1/3 or 1/4 the size of

Something similar could easily be implemented in a mail-reader or
general text-viewer. It's very easy to ask ST-Guide to search for
keywords and display their file/node. However, to do it the way you
want it without too much coding, you must convert the man-files to
ST-Guide format and maintain a general reference-file (there are tools
in the ST-Guide distribution for this).

Example: You're viewing a text in qed, and encounter a word you don't
understand. You highlight it, press HELP and ST-Guide starts to search
through the reference-file. It then displays a dialog with all
occurances of the word, click on one and it's node is displayed.

This is already implemented, so if you're using qed then all you have
to do is to convert the man-files :-) The downside is that this only
searches through keywords, and not the entire text.

/*
**
*/