Re: ST MiNT users

Kristoffer Lawson wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Janez Valant wrote:
>
> >    Well i partialy agree... But we CANT just ignore ST users.. and if i
> > recall corectly u didnt like f030 only patches in MiNT. As Linux and
> > NetBSD is concerned: they are foreign OS-es...

A very interesting thing about the Amiga community is that their lowest
support level is the 68020.  I guess this is because most Ami500 users have
upgraded their systems to 020 or above processors.  With second hand Falcons
going for as little as $400, and the availability of the Pak030, it seems that
the '030 should definitely be the lowest compatibility point for modern
software.  Even the graphic minimum should now be 680x400 (2 col.), for
"professional" software. I guess that the Amiga had/has more performance
upgrades for the line than ST's had.  Now a former ST user can get a Mac '040
for around $300 and run MagiCMac with better than TT performance.  '060's are
nice and the Phoenix looks rather promising with its DSP capabilities, but a
PPC with DSP would truly be a marvel. Amiga has the benefit of having
accelerators with PPC and '060.  Is Zorro III a better expansion than what is
available on the TT or the Falcon (even if PSD slot is combined with memory
slot for expansion)?  MiNT should be continued as an 030 and above OS for
Atari and Macintosh computers, then as time goes by PPC native libraries can
be introduced (initially for PPC Macs), then once PPC upgrades and clones
for/of Ataris become available, there will already be support.  I was under
the impression that the TT's fastRam slot was 64 bit.  Couldn't a PPC/FastRam
expansion board sit ontop of this?

Peter