Re: [MiNT] DHCP or a like wanted for min

Hm - I don't see what you would want a dhcpd for. IIRC, dhcpd is the daemon
>(ie. server process) that administers and hands out IP numbers using the
>DHCP protocol. This is commonly used for larger networks, where maintaining
>IP numbers on all machines gets tedious.

:^) sorry, i meant DHCPCD (the client deamon)

>However, you only have one machine, so I don't see why you should need a
>DHCP server - you would still have to know your IP, since the DHCP server
>will only assign IP numbers tp *other* machines on the net.

one? i think i have even more then you... (5 computers)

>Might it be that you need a DHCP *client* instead, so that you can get the
>IP number that your provider assignes to your machine (via DHCP)?

yups 8^)

>Another thought: you said 'ppp connection'. The normal method on PPP is not
>to use DHCP etc. - the IP number, nameserver addresses etc. are given by
>your ISP's pppd during the PPP startup handshake.
>
>Maybe you should give us a bit more detail what you did and what went wrong.

Normal = as we know it... Abnormal it is when hell brakes loose and the ISP
is WINBLOWS 95  oriented (ie uses windows server software), and in this case
that means i need to have both...

thanks

cu barry