Re: [MiNT] Euro-Sign

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 11:19:00PM +0100, Michael Schwingen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 06:19:20PM +0100, Guido Flohr wrote:
> > On January 1st many FreeMiNT users have got a new currency, the euro.
> > On other platforms the integration of the euro sign into the system
> > fonts is quite a big deal, on the Atari not yet.
> >
> > I think we should sacrifice one of the many superfluous glyphs in the
> > Atari codeset for that purpose.  Number one candidates for me are one
> > of the bullets at number 248 and 249.  Of course this should be discussed
> > with the Behne Bros. (NVDI) and Andreas Kromke (MagiC) so that we
> > all follow a common route.
>
> We just have a thread running on that topic in maus.computer.atari.software
> - the opinion there seems to be that we should not replace any 'useable'
> characters, and the bullets definitely fall into that category.

And the hollow bullet (at 248)?  Another proposal is the greek beta
(225) because this can be approximated with the German eszet ligature at
158.

> The current proposals are #244/#245 (half integral sign), #185(dieresis, 'ä'
> without the 'a'), #186 (acute).

I would vote against the diaresis and the acute because they are very
helpful for overstriking characters.

> If possible, we should choose a character that is not weidely used, and that
> is not present in ISO-LATIN1 (to minizime conversion trouble). The hebrew
> characters seem to be a bad idea, too, since they are used by some people,
> and these positions are used by NVDI for other characters already, so
> redefining them would cause incompatibility with NVDI.

The single diaresis resp. trema is in fact used by ISO-Latin-1 (at
position 168 between copyright and "§"). Same for the acute: position
180.  Well, the beta or the integral stuff really seem the best to me.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/