Re: [MiNT] TZ rule answer from RFC

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 09:15:47AM +0200, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> Remember the question about what are the timezones 3-letter codes?
> (to document TZINIT)  Here's a partial answer from RFC 822:

> RFC 822
> Standard for ARPA Internet Text Messages
>
>   zone        =  "UT"  / "GMT"                ; Universal Time
>                                               ; North American : UT
>               /  "EST" / "EDT"                ;  Eastern:  - 5/ - 4
>               /  "CST" / "CDT"                ;  Central:  - 6/ - 5
>               /  "MST" / "MDT"                ;  Mountain: - 7/ - 6
>               /  "PST" / "PDT"                ;  Pacific:  - 8/ - 7
>               /  1ALPHA                       ; Military: Z = UT;

RFC822 deals with the format of mail messages and is not very helpful for
our purposes (it is very much restricted to US-American usage).  The
restriction to one- resp. three-letter timezones is not common.

I will try to collect the information from various documents in Linux and
HP/UX.  I think I can compile an overview for one of the next FreeMiNT
releases.  This overview will contain both the common abbreviations and
the start/end rules for daylight savings time.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/
mailto:gufl0000@stud.uni-sb.de

When the Ngdanga tribe of West Africa hold their moon love ceremonies,
the men of the tribe bang their heads on sacred trees until they get a
nose bleed, which usually cures them of ____that.
		-- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"