Quantum harddisk, was: [MiNT] Back again

On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 01:30:10AM +0100, Guido Flohr wrote:
> On the TT I have tried a plethoria of different harddisk drivers,
> tried out every possible combination for the jumper settings as
> internal and external drive, with and without termination.  Result:
> None of the drivers has even detected it.
>
> The disk has only five jumpers:
>
> 	PK  park position, so you don't loose these tiny jumpers
> 	TE  terminator enable - jumper set means enabled.
> 	A0  ID
> Any ideas?  If the Quantum Fireball simply doesn't work with the TT
> I will resell it.  But which types will work with the TT SCSI controller?

Newer Quantum drives need Initiator ID, which the TT TOS will not provide
without a patch (I have a Fireball TM running as the only disk in my TT).

In any case, you have to turn on Initiator ID (in NVRAM setup / HDDRUTIL).
Then, you may either
 - use a different disk as bootdisk to load the driver or
 - patch the TT TOS to use initiator ID.

If you want to use Magic, at least Magic 5 needs the same patch as TOS 3.06
(same code, also).

If you access the disk without initiator ID, it will not respond to any
forther commands until the next SCSI BUS reset, so it may well look as if it
were dead if you have it on a low ID and it is scanned first by an
unmodified TOS.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen