Re: [MiNT] X11

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 t150315@students.cc.tut.fi wrote:

> >5) I know X is huge to compile, BUT I think here, we have some people with
> >fast raw machines with gcc installed as cross-compiler, so X11r6
> >cross-compile shouldn't take very long to compile.
> >I for one, would be happy to know (not to use automatically) that X11
> >color is doable on MiNT.
>
> Old X11 package was 100MB with documentation.  However, more of a
> problem is graphics drivers, who's going to (re)write them?
I understand that, however, Xfree86 is usable on linuxm68k? isn't it?
I thought I read it was.
If it is, that means that the TT video, Falcon videl (up to 256 col though
with videl) and various ET v.card drivers already are written.

Anyone to confirm this?

> Btw. Would somebody try out new W version at:
> 	http://www.students.tut.fi/~t150315/

I tried an earlier version.
The whole point in having X11 (imo) is networking with X servers, and
directly compile X11 programs etc.
In which W does not at all.
So I see W as a replacement to the AES, which can't compete.

X11 as a complement to the AES, not a replacement.