Re: [MiNT] memory fragmentation

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 12:13:27AM +0200, Thomas Binder wrote:
> > Furthermore, most Unix software tends to malloc a lot of small and
> > smallest blocks.  I think that these tiny holes will not be wasted.
>
> Don't forget that they malloc(), not sbrk() (where sbrk() may be
> compared to Malloc(), though it's not exactly the same). Even Unix C
> libraries use large blocks allocated from the system and then manage
> them internally.

The MiNTLib malloc() also uses sbrk() as far as I remember.

If you have got 10 MB of physical RAM left and a malloc of 8k
(wasn't that the new default chunksize of the MiNTLib?) splits your RAM
into two blocks of 5 MB each, then 8k (or even 32k or 64k) is a "small"
block for me.

Anyway, I really think we should give that "best-fit" approach a try.  I
think one of the biggest problems is that the memory is often already
fragmented a lot after the startup sequence and I see a chance that best
fit will somehow help there.

Ciao

Guido
> P.S.: Is it your intention that your mail was addressed to
>       "mint@stud.uni-sb.de" instead of "mint@fishpool.com"? It makes
>       replying a bit inconvenient ...

Oops, no, I shouldn't mess around in my smail spool folder ...
Sorry.