Re: [MiNT] PLIP-driver

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 01:36:23AM +0100, Guido Flohr wrote:
> This is of course an important point because for most users (including me)
> it is quite surprising that software can actually destroy hardware.  An
> annonying surprise.

If your cables are not too long, inserting a resistor of about 470-1000Ohms
in every data/handshake line should take care of that without disturbing
data transmission.

I have not read the cabling documentation from the PLIP package, but without
such a measure, I personally would not dare to connect two atari printer
ports together.

> Another point that might be considered: What about the parallel interface
> of the Milan?  I don't know it but from the general design philosophy of
> the Milan I would guess it is compatible to Wintel hardware to keep costs
> low.  If this is the case then it should be possible to port the Linux
> plip interface to (Milan-)MiNT(Net).

Correct. It is a standard PC-style port, with bidirectional mode, EPP/ECP
capabilities and of course a full set of handshake lines - it comes
together with floppy, serial ports, mouse/keyboard etc. in one SuperIO chip.

> 	aplip <--> plip
> 	plip  <--> lplip

As soon as we have multiple PLIP versions on Atari machines, renaming the
current scheme to "aplip" might make sense. Until then, I guess it will only
generate unnecessary confusion.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen