Re: [MiNT] What's in, what's out?

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 01:35:32AM +0100, Guido Flohr wrote:
> /kern/cookiejar was just one example.  That's twenty lines of code and its
> handy.

Handy, but not necessary in the kernel. You will need formatting routines
for every supported pseudo-file, and that increases kernel size -
unnecessary, IMHO.

> That has nothing to do with being human-readable.  Binary formats do also
> change.

Yes, But binary formats are easier to define in a portable, extensible way,
and they are a lot easier to parse.

> That human-readable output will only consume memory if somebody actually
> wants to see it. And performance is not really important for these files.

No. The code will always be in the kernel, even if it is not used.

> > Sure? How many programs do already use that one broken function?
>
> Ssystem? Every program that is compile with the MiNTLib.  It was already
> in the MiNTLib when I took over maintainance for it and that is quite a
> time.

I was talking only about the get cookie/read system variable sub-opcodes.
Does Mintlib use these internally?

> Besides, Konrad has already stated it: You can easily work around the
> shortcomings, in fact if you follow the recommended usage (check for
> Ssystem being available first, and later you usually don't have to expect
> errors) you will have no problems.

OK. Not nice, but useable.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen