Re: [MiNT] kernel 1.15.5

> 1)  shutdown:  assert ('x') failed at line <number> in pipefs.c
>     FATAL ERROR:  You must reboot the system.

The turth is that this bug was never fixed. The 1.15.4 kernel only
contained a temporary "workaround" for this, which was removed from the
1.15.5 for an (unknown for me) reason. So to restore that, one has to go
to dos.c, find the comment saying "temporary to test the behaviour" and
change the #ifdef 1 there to #ifdef 0, then recompile the kernel.

With new N.AES you can avoid the crash by shutting the AES first down,
then doing explicit "shutdown" from the text console. It seems that the
problem comes from N.AES devices (gemcon, mtask and so on) not being
properly unmounted at the time of closing the system.

> NOTE:  GEM Shutdown from the 1.15.5 tools and my own shutdown
>        command both work perfectly on 1.15.3, but fail on 1.15.5

The GEM shutdown you mention does substantially the same as the command
line tool, i.e. finally boils down to calling Shutdown(), where the crash
occurs.

I agree this is annoying, but so far everybody has failed to fix it.

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@atari.org                  |  Atari Falcon030 user   |

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.