Re: [MiNT] kernel 1.15.5

On 19.11.1999, Martin-Eric Racine <q-funk@pp.fishpool.fi> wrote:

>   C - O - N - G - R - A - T - U - L - A - T - I - O - N - S - !
>
>         KERNEL 1.15.5 WORKS JUST FINE ON THE STACY!!!!

Well, some bad news too:

I'm back to 1.15.3 on the TT, because two old bugs are back:

1)  shutdown:  assert ('x') failed at line <number> in pipefs.c
    FATAL ERROR:  You must reboot the system.

2)  Thing:  invalid stack magic number
    FATAL ERROR:  You must reboot the system.

The first one prevents me from doing a clean shutdown and results
in a fatal kernel error when executing a shutdown (command or GEM
version - same result).

NOTE:  GEM Shutdown from the 1.15.5 tools and my own shutdown
       command both work perfectly on 1.15.3, but fail on 1.15.5

The second one takes down both the AES and the kernel, at bootup,
9 times out of 10.

PATTERN RECOGNITION:  These two errors always occur together!
-------------------

e.g. if a new beta comes that Thing crashes this way, the same
beta will also feature the pipefs.c bug.

Likewise, if Thing only dies (occasionally) with a bus error, the
kernel can be cleanly shutdown.

QUESTION
--------
What are the differences between 1.15.3 abnd 1.15.5 that could
explain the above pattern I observed?

Thanks to anyone who could figure it out and find the cure.
Martin-Éric Racine            The Atari Stacy and TT030 Homepage
Lappeenranta, Finland          http://members.tripod.com/~TT030/
   "When the time comes, I will know and I shall be."  Q-Funk