Re: [MiNT] kernel 1.15.5

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 01:36:15 +0200, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
>
> > I'm back to 1.15.3 on the TT, because two old bugs are back:
> >
> > 1)  shutdown:  assert ('x') failed at line <number> in pipefs.c
> >     FATAL ERROR:  You must reboot the system.
>
> Same here, but only with vcons +AES enabled.

I get this too, but the point is in the version 1.15.4 the problem was
gone (and I am not sure about earlier versions). I was very pleased about
that, because it used to be annoying having the disc check each time I
booted as the discs were not unmounted. But now the problem is is back!
Surely it must be possible to ascertain what changes have occured between
the versions where the problem went away and between 1.14.4 and 1.14.5
where the problem has come back.

> Btw. init crashes with a
> memory-violation if MP is enabled and vcons running, so there's definitely
> something fishy about vcons.

I found that this can be avoided by setting the memory flags of vconsd to
global. (IIRC; I believe I posted a message about that on this list at the
time.) So memory protection does work ok for me now, except it is slow,
and I get occasional freezes. Well actually it is hard to say how the
freezes are coming about, but I definitely NEVER get such freezes with
memory protection off, so memory protection must have something to do with
it.

| Mario Becroft           * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group      |
| mb@gem.win.co.nz        * Atari Hardware Developments:                |
| http://gem.win.co.nz/   * NEW: QWERTYX - PC AT Keyboard Interface     |