Re: [MiNT] Pine 4.20 (was: List-address)

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> > ??? Pine since waaaay back supports IMAP.
> The keyword was "server" not "Pine".

Yeees, but why do you say "even when accessed using the old Pine 3.96" ???

If you wanted us to understand that the servers support IMAP when you
connect with an IMAP compliant MUA, then say so, don't confuse us by
telling us that you used a specific version of pine.

> Several providers out there claim to support only POP3 but, when
> accessed using Pine as mail.domain/pop3/user=username they will
> nonetheless communicate using IMAP4 protocol over the POP3 port,
> simply because the mailserver installed handles all protocols.

POP3 port???  POP3 use port 110 and IMAP use port 143 or 220.

If IMAP is installed on the server it will work, what the ISP claim to
support is of zero interest here!

> This means that, using Pine 3.96 (which only supports IMAP4, not
> POP3), one can often access their mailspool using IMAP4, despite
> their provider's claim that only POP3 is supported.

I belive that if you tell pine 3.96 to use POP3 and it can't handle it it
will use IMAP.

And ofcourse you have tested a large amount of ISP so you can support
your ideas?

//Robert