Re: [MiNT] New kernel features

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 01:28:44 +0100, Guido Flohr wrote:

> If there is one thing I have learned from all that, it's this:  I think it
> is about time to really split up the kernel development into two different
> branches.  One, with minimal functionality, no features other than those
> that are strictly required to do multitasking and one which is oriented
> towards new developments in other operating systems.

Is it necessary to split the *development*? Frank has done a great job on
reorganizing the kernel, and one side-effect of such work is usually that
it's easier to separate functionality in modules. If new features can be
ifdef'ed like your kern-fs, then it should be trivial to release slimmed-down
kernels. Also, the mere possibility of doing this indicates good design and
easier maintenance.

Btw. this also means that the "slim" kernel-binaries should be distributed
along with the ordinary kernels, I really don't like the idea that the users
should have to recompile the kernel themselves, after all, anyone who needs
a slimmed-down kernel probably don't have the resources to compile it. It
would actually be better to just distribute "slim" kernels and require the
"power-users" to recompile...

/*
**
*/