Re: [MiNT] Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender (fwd)

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 11:22:28PM +0100, Thomas Binder wrote:

> Actually, after re-checking, I found that they even cleary that this
> policy.  Take a look at http://www.orbs.org/whatisthis.html, where it
> says:
>
> "It also tracks networks that prevent ORBS from verifying whether or not
> their SMTP servers continue to permit third-party relay - it is fairly
> common for inept administrators to try blocking the ORBS testers rather
> than to actually fix their security problems."
>
> IMO, this isn't the way to go, even though the point is valid.

You are right. This also creates a problem for large installations like at
our university: we have a central mailhost, and all incoming IP traffic to
port 25 is blocked except for this machine. However, there need to be MX
records that point to each departments machine which will finally receive
the mails, but these can not be reached from outside.

I just hope noone enters these addresses for an ORBS check ... I think I'll
stay with the tables from mail-abuse.org.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen