Re: [MiNT] Bad magic number?

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2036 at 06:41:56AM +0000, Remi Villatel wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I just erased Windows95 with SUSE Linux on my PC-box. (What a pleasure!)  :-))
> I feel really home thanks to MiNT but I have a little problem: I can't mount my
> minix partitions on Linux. It complains that the device has a bad magic number
> in super block.

I don't know whether Linux can read MiNT/Minix partitions.  AFAIK the
minix driver for MiNT knows about two different versions of minixfs.  And
Linux definitely knows about two Minix versions (type 80 "Old MINIX" and
type 81 "Linux/MINIX") run /sbin/fdisk and type `l' to see a list of known
filesystems (and quit without changing by typing `q').

Even if Linux is potentially capable of reading a Minix partition it is
not granted that /your/ kernel can do that.  Read the Kernel-HOWTO to
learn how to recompile your (Linux) kernel and then check if support for
Minix (whatever version) is really enabled.  Don't be afraid of
recompiling your kernel.  It is really easy and you should do that anyway,
because a hand-tailored kernel will most probably outperform the
all-purpose kernel that is shipped with SuSe.  I wouldn't be surprised if
you can do that from within Yast.

Ciao

Guido
--