[MiNT] Long file names

Hi

The whole LFN question surprises me, because long filenames are very un-unix.
Unix file or directory names always have been very short.

Probably the unix inventors knew that a hierarchic file structure provides
enough locality to keep names short. This is still the case for the standard
directory structure.

What I have seen sofar is the following: LFN is often used to provide a version
number in products.
I think this is not the best approach.

I would suggest that a version number be a hierarchy itself.

Example: take the product 'foo'
There is a directory named foo. This dir contains all versions of foo in subdirs:
v1, v2    etcetera
v1 and v2 dirs contain the elements of the product under their normal working names
like bar, foo.prg, rsc, inf
(foo is only needed for the name of the executable. :-)

Instead of constructing foo.v1.prg there will be foo/v1/foo.prg, foo/v1/rsc
etcetera.

This is how products can be distributed.

The end user can move the products elements freely to her/his operational
environment.

Another example: FreeMiNT/1_15_7b/MiNT.prg

--
Groeten; Regards.
Henk Robbers.

http://people.A2000.nl/hrobbers/Homepage.html
Interactive disassembler: TT-Digger;       Experimental text editor: AHCX