Re: [MiNT] Long file names

Hi

Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > The whole LFN question surprises me, because long filenames are very un-unix.
> > Unix file or directory names always have been very short.
>
> Yeah, you are right. Easy examples are: .addressbook_lu,
> .chimera_bookmark, lost+found, addr2info.1.gz, and so on.

Hmm. 'have been' must have been very long ago then?

> Seriously, I guess your entire mail expresses your warm feeling about the
> PC-like 8+3 filesystems (and prove me wrong).

It has nothing to do with any filesystem. I just dont like long names in general.
And I thought Unix had the same spirit originally.

> This is wrong and the last
> phrase from your mail (cited above) proves the truth: namely, of course,
> things CAN be done the way you propose, but as you noticed, users would
> have to 'move products element freely to the environment', i.e. just
> manually adjust filenames.

This is your conclusion. I just meant: move the elements to the place you want them
in your hierarchy. I dont see any renaming here.

> Except that it is not painless, this would
> create a whole crap of problems with writing software which would have to
> run in such circumstances.

Just use the hierarchy properly.

> Accepting long filenames is much easier for
> everyone.

I am not a dreamer, my programs dont have problems with long names.

> Just an opinion, of course,

Yes.

--
Groeten; Regards.
Henk Robbers.

http://people.A2000.nl/hrobbers/Homepage.html
Interactive disassembler: TT-Digger;       Experimental text editor: AHCX