Re: [MiNT] GCC 2.95.2

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 11:46:28PM +0200, Tomas Berndtsson wrote:
> Guido Flohr <guido@freemint.de> writes:
>
> > That means that you will have to recompile both your gcc and your MiNTLib.
> > Sorry for the inconvenience but the main reason why Frank and I have
> > changed these things was to avoid such problems in the future.  Bad
> > timing, sorry.
>
> I did recompile both, and it seems to work in real MiNT, but not in
> oTOSis, for some strange reason.

Hm, maybe ask the maintainers of oTOSis. ;-))

> > BTW, what were your experiences with cross-compiling the MiNTLib?  Is the
> > preparation for cross-compilation sufficient?  I really tried to make
> > things easy and I'm interested in a little feedback.
>
> Oh, it was pretty simple. After changing configvars, it just compiled

That's what I wanted to hear. ;-)

> very smoothly. One part in configvars that confused me a bit:
>
> # Only used when cross-compiling:
> # Define this to the size (in bytes) of a long double for your
> # cross-compiler.  If you have an older gcc version it is probably
> # 0x08.  It should be 0x0a (decimal 12) however.  If in doubt leave
> # it as it is (i. e. 0x0a).
> LONGDOUBLESIZE=0x0a
>
> Decimal 12 is 0x0c, and after consulting the cross compiler, it should
> be 12 (0x0c), not 10 (0x0a). Maybe this will solve all my problems. :)
> I'll recompile and see.

Sorry, the variable LONGDOUBLESIZE is an orphan.  It is not used at all.
There will be no effect.  Better download Frank's brand-new gcc source
rpm.  You will probably be able to use it on your Linux box.  Do

	rpm -ivh gcc-2.95.2-*.src.rpm

Then

	cd /usr/src/redhat (or /usr/src/packages for SuSE, or ...)
	rpm -bp SPECS/gcc.spec

That will unpack the gcc sources and apply all necessary patches for MiNT
(but not build anything). Depending on how accurately Frank has set things
up it should now be sufficient to do a "./configure
--target=m68k-atari-mint && make" in "BUILD/gcc-2.95.2".  Maybe you should
also consult "SPECS/gcc.spec" for extra tweaks in the spec file.  If
things still not work (gcc itself will probably be alright after the long
double patch) you should download the gcc rpm, install it on your MiNT box
and then copy the headers and libgcc.a manually over to your
cross-directory on your Linux box.

Ciao

Guido
--