Re: [MiNT] MiNT - TOS dependence?

Hello!

> Excuse me, I didn't have a look into MiNT sources, but I have a question:
> How is it about MiNT dependence on TOS routines. Which TOS routines
> must be present to have MiNT working?

In general some BIOS, XBIOS routines, some interrupt routines.

For the kernel initialization are some GEMDOS functions used but this is
easy stuff (memory initialization and so on). With proper device drivers
and some kernel modifications most of the BIOS routines can be skipped I
think.

> Allegedly Milan II won't have MFP chip (I've heard it somewhere), but normal
> VIA chipset. That would mean that MiNT ported to MII wouldn't be so hard
> to port to any other PC, just add the processor emulation. Am I right?

This will be the same as for Milan 1 I think. Milan 1 have a MFP in one of
the programmable chips. The MFP is not at the original addresses and it's
not 100% ST compatible. For applications the original MFP is emulated
through a bus emulation (MMU handler for an invalid page).

FreeMiNT use the native MFP addresses. That's why exist a seperate kernel
for the Milan (as the emulated MFP is slow and the emulated MFP can't be
used from interrupt handlers).

Tschuess
   ...Frank

--